The promotion of self-esteem, self-discipline, a proper regard for authority and positive relationships based on mutual respect, are central to the ethos of the College. In order that pupils derive maximum benefit from their school life, the College must be an orderly community. For this reason, we have certain rules of behaviour which must be obeyed. Pupils who fail to comply with these rules may be subject to a range of sanctions in line with the College’s Behaviour Management Policy.
- Pupils are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible and respectful manner at all times whether on or off College premises. So pupils must not cause injury or distress to other people, use inappropriate language, damage property, harm the reputation of the College, or interfere in any way with other pupils’ right to learn. Pupils must follow instructions from members of staff. Any incident occurring on the College premises at any time must be reported to a member of staff immediately.
- All pupils must attend school; 100% attendance is the expectation. When a pupil is absent or late, the reason must be communicated to the College by 09:30 on the first day via text or e-mail. When a pupil needs to leave during the day this must be covered by an explanatory letter.
- All pupils are expected to attend College in full College uniform correctly worn. All articles of clothing and other possessions must be marked clearly with the owner’s name. Pupils to carry an appropriate school bag that will accommodate books of at least A4 size.
- Pupils must not wear jewellery with the exception of girls who may wear one very small stud in each ear lobe. Make-up is not permitted, including fake tan, nail varnish or false nails. Nails must be kept short, as a guideline they should not be seen from the underside of the finger.
- Pupils’ hair must be tidy and free of all styling agents. Hair must be off the face and of a conventional style and one natural colour. There should be no dramatic difference in length between the sides and top. Hair extensions are not allowed. Boys must be clean shaven; their hair should be above the collar and not less than a grade 2 cut.
- Pupils must not smoke, or carry matches, lighters, tobacco, e-cigarettes, alcohol or any other illegal substance. Pupils must not carry knives, fireworks, aerosols (including cosmetic aerosols/pump sprays) or any articles which, in the opinion of the Principal, constitute a danger to others.
- Pupils must not carry medicines. If there is a medical need for these, then they must be handed to Reception for safe keeping. However, pupils who need to use Ventolin, similar inhalers, or EpiPens, must carry these at all times and must report the fact to Reception. There may be occasions when pupils may need to remind staff of their medical problems.
- Pupils are not allowed to bring mobile phones or ‘smart watches’ to the College. If a pupil needs to phone home they are to use a phone at reception, via their Heads of House or their Pastoral Office.
- Pupils must not bring personal music players, computer games, or any other articles of value into the College. Monies must not be left in pockets or unattended bags. Neither the College nor the Local Authority can be held responsible for any articles of personal property which are damaged, mislaid or lost on the premises.
- Any items brought into the College which are contrary to the College rules will be confiscated. Items confiscated will be returned at the end of the College term, where appropriate, to a parent or guardian.
- Pupils must remain on the College premises in designated areas throughout the day unless they have obtained written permission to the contrary from their Head of House. Pupils must not eat in any room or other part of the College except those designated for that purpose. Pupils must not bring chewing gum on to the premises.
- Pupils participate in all lessons. Exemption from Physical Education will only be granted for genuine medical conditions supported by an explanatory letter.
- Cycles and motorcycles may only be brought to the College by permission of the Principal, entirely at the risk of the owner. They must not be ridden on College premises.
- The parents or guardians of pupils who wilfully damage College property of any kind or who lose books and equipment loaned to them are liable to be held financially responsible.
- After school detentions are a normal part of the College disciplinary structure. It is the responsibility of parents to arrange transport home for their children. Only a parent may re-arrange detentions with the College, not a pupil.
This is not an exhaustive list of our expectations which underpin the ethos and values of the College. Other rules may be implemented from time to time which further support the high expectations which we have of all our pupils.
Day to Day Routines
|Arrival to the College||● Wear full Claverham uniform on your journey to and from the College
● Gather sensibly in designated areas
● Ensure you have everything for tutor time and your lessons for the day
|Tutor time||● Arrive at tutor room on time
● Ensure that you are ready to learn
|Lessons||● Arrive promptly and enter the classroom in silence
● Wait to be seated; take out your planner and equipment
● One seated, place bag under table or elsewhere if instructed
● Commence starter task in silence or as directed by staff
● Listen in silence whilst the member of staff leading the lesson speaks
● During the lesson work consistently hard and apply themselves diligently to your studies without disrupting any other pupil’s learning
● Raise hand to ask or answer a question
● When instructed at the end of the lesson pack up in silence and stand behind your chair
● Water may be drunk in lessons ( no other drinks permitted)
● Pupils do not leave the classroom for water or the toilet unless they have an authorised note from the pastoral office or Head of House.
● Pupils are only sent to the Medical Room by the teacher with a note in their planner
|Movement around the corridors||● Walk on the left
● Always walk calmly and safely
● Do not shout
● No eating or drinking in the corridor
|Break & Lunch time||● Gather and eat only in designated areas
● Use seating where provided
● All litter should be placed in the bins provided around the college
● Go to the toilet and fill water bottles (you will not be permitted to leave class for this purpose)
● Move straight to class when the bell sounds
|End of the day||● Always walk in corridors
● Collect belongings from your locker calmly
● Ensure that you leave the College in full and correct uniform
|● Walk sensibly indoors and respectfully in and around the College site
● Wear full College uniform
● Speak respectfully and appropriately
● No anti-social behaviour
● Only eat or drink in the designated areas
● No mobile phones or electronic devices to be brought on the college site
● No outdoor clothing to be worn inside the building following initial arrival to the college